BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Prompt #5

I may have a problem communicating with the parent or parents due to a possible language barrier. The parent may not understand what I am saying in writing or verbally. If I send home a letter about their son or daughter and they do not understand a simple word like peer and think it says something negative, it could make a big difference in the meaning of the letter. When personally meeting with the parent if I say things verbally and what I say is misunderstood, this could cause a problem. I may address this problem by having an interpreter come to the meeting. I could also address this problem by giving the parent “context clues” as to whether I am talking about or writing about something negative or positive. If I am sending a positive letter home, I may put it on decorative paper and put stickers on the letter to let them know that this is a positive letter. I could also try to use simple words in the letter so they understand. I may write, “Your son was good in class today” verses, “I have been pleased with your son’s behavior during the entirety of the day.” When talking, I could show positive looks on my face by smiling. This would let the parent know something is going well.

There may be problems communicating with the parent because of the language differences but there are other challenges, too. If the parent does not favor you as a teacher or does not think that you are competent, there may be a communication problem. I would have to perhaps spend more time with the parent so the parent can really get to know me.

I am planning on becoming a Special Education teacher. I plan to work with students who have disabilities. Some day I may have to tell a parent that their son or daughter has a learning disability. If the parent is not pleased with the news, they may be upset with me. Due to the anger and frustration, the parent may not communicate with me. This is a very tricky situation to handle. I may try to present the news with a team of other teachers verses by myself. I could possibly use the IEP team like we talked about in class. Other professionals like psychologists or guidance counselors on the team could offer insight or be able to provide comfort and resources in addition to what I am offering. This may help. These small changes may make a difference in communication skills with parents.

Although the parents may sometimes struggle to communicate, I am sure that every parent has something to contribute to my classroom. In my first blog, I wrote about the caring parents. “While waiting, I observed a mother talking to one of the greeters. She was telling him what she baked for the Valentine’s Day party; she was concerned about it being enough. He could have responded by rolling his eyes and cutting her short but he listened and kindly thanked her and said it would be enough. This was very touching.” The parents at The Garden Academy have something to contribute to the school. In my classroom I can give parents the opportunity to share comments or questions by holding a monthly parent discussion session/meeting. Parents can talk with not only me but also with other parents. I feel that this would be more efficient since most parents have similar questions. I can also use their hands-on help in the classroom by making them a “room parent” where they can come in and help with fun activities. I feel that by welcoming the parents into the room and having meetings/discussions dedicated towards them I would be demonstrating respect for the parents and their ideas and comments.

I can instantly relate this to Kilwer. Kilwer talks about how everyone can do something in the world despite his or her “disability”. The parents who have a language barrier could possibly be seen as having a language “disability”. I must go beyond the “disability” and know as a teacher how they can contribute to the school and my classroom. They certainly may have cultural contributions to add to my classroom. They may have abilities in helping organize a family night or event. Kilwer pushes several times in his article how you can make “disabled” persons part of society or, in my case, part of the classroom. By putting some of my focus on the parents being in the classroom, I am doing what Kilwer says is right. I am respecting their knowledge, skill, and even their willingness to contribute.

2 comments:

Sara Angelino said...

Hi Anna,

I think your connection to Kliwer and parents who don't speak English is very accurate. Many times people who don't speak English fluently are viewed as having a "disability." I also think you are correct in making the parents a part of the classroom even if they do not understand English very well. This would definitely help everyone, students and parents alike. We need to include all parents regardless of what “disability” we may think they have. Each parent can bring something to our classes to help the students. All teachers should try to motivate the parents to become involved in the students schoolwork. This could only help the students succeed!

You could also relate this to Shor’s idea of participatory classroom and affective learning. By getting the parents involved in the students’ activities in the classroom, you would be promoting participation in the class by the students and the parents. If the parents are involved in the classroom activities, the students may enjoy learning more. This would be teaching to their affective learning by involving more of the student into the curriculum.

Good Luck!
Sara

Gerri August said...

Hi Anna,

I urge you to be careful with applying the notion of disability to ELLs. Think about their first language as an asset--remember what Goldenberg wrote about the value of being biliterate/bilingual. (I actually think that this is how you think of it; I just wanted to caution you.)

I love your ideas about communicating with the parents. You will be a thoughtful and dynamic teacher.

Think on these things,
Dr. August